Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Great Lakes Aquaculture Collaborative (GLAC)?
GLAC is a federally funded project that seeks to create a new Great Lakes region wide collaboration that can support an environmentally responsible, competitive, and sustainable aquaculture industry in the Great Lakes region through relevant, science-based initiatives.
Who are the participants of the Great Lakes Aquaculture Collaborative?
The GLAC project is composed of Sea Grant extension educators and university researchers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois-Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, New York, and Pennsylvania. The interdisciplinary GLAC will address barriers and develop opportunities for aquaculture in the Great Lakes region.
What are the Goals of GLAC?
The project’s primary goal is to provide relevant, science-based initiatives that support an environmentally responsible, competitive, and sustainable aquaculture industry in the Great Lakes region.
Farming native bivalves
Eat Midwest Fish is an online resource hub that educates consumers about sustainable aquaculture in the Midwest.
Eat Wisconsin Fish is your source for information about food fish that are commercially harvested or farmed in Wisconsin.
Great Lakes Aquaculture Resources
- Michigan: Michigan Sea Grant Aquaculture
- Minnesota: 2017 Minnesota Sea Grant Aquaculture Workshop summary
- Wisconsin: Northern Aquaculture Demonstration Facility, UW-Stevens Point
Great Lakes State Aquaculture Associations
COVID-19 Aquaculture Information
- Impacts of COVID-19 on U.S. aquaculture, aquaponics, and allied businesses (Virginia Tech and Ohio State Universities)
- Coronavirus Food Assistance Program 2 for Aquaculture Producers (CFAP 2) USDA’s CFAP 2 is for agricultural and aquaculture producers who continue to face market disruptions and associated costs because of COVID-19.
- NOAA Fisheries Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update (NOAA Fisheries) Provides updated information on the COVID-19 virus and what programs are available through NOAA to assist stakeholders. The page will be updated continuously as new information becomes available.
NOAA Aquaculture Resources
- 10-Year Sea Grant Aquaculture Vision
- NOAA Aquaculture Library. Explore aquaculture resources such as policy updates, newsletters, and fact sheets.
USDA Aquaculture Resources
- North Central Regional Aquaculture Center
- Northeastern Regional Aquaculture Center
- Southeastern Regional Aquaculture Center
- Western Regional Aquaculture Center